1. "I'm going to start trying to post quick daily hits (during the week, that is; I like to relax really hard during the weekends) in addition to my occasional longer piece." - Me, August 17, 2017
2. My next post: August 23, 2017
3. I am so freaking conflicted about football. I love watching it. I do. And I used to love doing fantasy and pick 'em leagues. I played in middle school. But now all we hear is this and this and this, and when you combine that with the
greed and the hiding of health risks the NFL brass consistently display, it's tough not to feel guilty watching or supporting the sport in any way (the nonstop stream of domestic abuse stories don't help, either). I've now really stuck it to the NFL by stopping fantasy football (the NFL's resulting bankruptcy is almost certainly forthcoming), and I only help my fiancee in her family's pick 'em league with shameful reluctance (how saintly am I?!?). But it is so freaking hard not to follow scores and watch a game here and there. I don't want to, though, because of what the game is doing to people's brains. What do you all think on this?
4. The eclipse was cool. Less cool was how I looked when my stylish eclipse glasses randomly projectiled off of my face and I spasmed and squealed, freaking out as I desperately tried to shield my eyes.
5. One of the 436 reasons I had changing the sheets on my bed is the embarrassment when my fiancee and I see yet again that her side of the mattress is fluffy and white while mine is a yellow, smelly indent in the shape of my slightly overweight body.
6. F*%k terrorism. The Barcelona tragedy (incidentally, Barcelona is where I purchased and wore the lime-green weenie-bikini in the Abell Cable logo, so for that incredibly stupid reason the city has always held at least some meaning for me) made me think about what a wonderful, lively, funky city Barcelona is—an incredible mix of Mediterranean quirk and old-school European majesty. It also made me think about how terrorism comes in many forms, including this.